Friday 4 April 2014

Jaypee // Installation and painting

As James was away, we hadn't been able to cut any of the vinyl in preparation for redecorating the room. For the morning, I helped the others paint inside the outlines that Jonny had drawn. We found out just before lunch time that James was in for 1 day only. Andy wasn't able to make the first day of installing vinyl and so I prepared the artwork by scaling it to the right proportions and making sure the arrangement of pieces was as tight as possible to fit onto the roll of white vinyl James had left.


The initial section got torn by the cutter and so the process had to be restarted and watched carefully to make sure no rips appeared.  This meant that about 20% of the design was lost due to wasted material. this still gave us plenty to work with.

I cut away all of the excess vinyl to prepare it for application tape. As James was due to shut, I had to do this really quickly and was only able to cover some of it in time. After cutting all of the characters into individual pieces, I made a start on installing the first piece. I started with the Jaypee signature piece which I wanted to place on the door. Josh helped me line it up as it was applied and this made the process easier. I was pleased with how this first on went on and moved onto the second.



The computer sticker proved to be harder by myself. Whilst it went on with relative ease, apart from a few bubbles which had to be teased out with a scalpal prick, some parts had been misaligned in application leading to creases. These had to resolve by cutting fine lines and repiecing it. Thankfully I was able to rescue this but decided that it would be best to wait for Andy and complete it with two people. For the rest of the day I helped the others paint inside and on the balcony. This was really fun as it gave me a break from my usual workflow and scale.


painting outside on the balcony

Inside - end of day 1


No comments:

Post a Comment