Wednesday 7 May 2014

Hungry Sandwich Club animation // About Us Animation

As part of our collaborative studio self-promotion, we wanted to produce an animation for our ‘about us’ page as we would be able to demonstrate key skills in design, illustration and animation while communicating a tone of voice that is consistent with the brand we have developed.
After brainstorming ideas for animated scenes, we decided to base them off the written points from our manifesto which were already quite visual.

Together, we created a storyboard and broke the scenes up into chunks. Andy developed a visual style for the characters and objects, and we divided scenes to work on. I worked on the longer and more complicated piano scene while Andy worked on the bread and butter and ‘big ideas’ scenes. They ended up fitting together really well and we were both extremely happy with the results.





To make the scene I first produced a quick test using assets from andy's early illustration. I found that a combination of rotating, scaling and using the puppet tool produced convincing character animation. 










Individually, I pieced together the puppets for the superhero Martin and Andy characters, manipulating the limbs separately to indicate that the characters are flying. 



Making the characters fly through the sky was easier than I expected, as I was able to take one long gradient image and scroll this down to look like they are rising into the sky. I had to animate clouds to fill the scene and add to this effect. 




In 3D I created the Hungry Sandwich logo to rotate in the sky like an emblem. 





Here is the combination of the scene I had animated combined with Andy's:


No comments:

Post a Comment