Sunday 4 May 2014

North Bar Leeds Mencap // Evaluation

This was an interesting short collaborative brief with Andy, working with Duke Studios and North Bar to produce a set of collectable beer mats that could be sold to raise money for Leeds Mencap. We got to work in an unusual format, and I learned that designing for laser cutters requires you to cut away everything you can as extra details will add time and expense to the production. I had to learn about using single-line fonts which are produced for lasers to avoid letters ‘popping out’ of the design. Working within the restrictions of the format, we were still able to bring an element of interaction and playfulness to the design, and this was a challenge that I enjoyed immensely. 

It was nice to be able to use our design skills to help fundraise, and in total North Bar had sold around 1,500 of our beer mats which raised £785.77. I found this process really exciting as it was the first time I have had work produced and distributed at this kind of scale. What I liked best about the process is that I had to engage with professionals outside of the course and respond to feedback from Duke and North Bar to create something that customers could interact with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment